OpenAI CTO’s Twitter hacked, promoting fake cryptocurrency airdrop scam.
Crypto Twitter users were inundated with warnings on June 2 after the Twitter account of Mira Murati, the chief technology officer of artificial intelligence firm OpenAI, appeared to be hacked to promote a fraudulent cryptocurrency airdrop.
On June 2, Murati’s account tweeted what appeared to be a phishing link promising an airdrop of a purported ERC-20 token OPENAI named after the firm that created ChatGPT.
Murati has 126,200 followers on Twitter and a verified account on the platform. The post was live for about an hour and was viewed 79,600 times and retweeted 83 times before it was deleted.
- Bitcoin drops to $26.5K, but trader sees potential for a positive outcome.
- Bitcoin’s sluggishness in May continues as it stays below $27K amid inflation concerns.
- USDC to launch on Arbitrum.
The tweet’s author had restricted who could reply to the tweet, so others were unable to easily warn that the link was a scam.
Related: Crypto phishing scams: How users can stay protected
Some Twitter users speculate that Murati fell victim to a SIM-swapping attack.
We don’t know what’s going on yet (SIM attack?) But NO WAY this is really Mira. This is a scam. https://t.co/zlp4SsR41l
— Mark Jeffrey (@markjeffrey) June 2, 2023
The website shared in the tweet is sophisticated and appears to have directly copied the layout and site design of a real project called ChainGPT, with some very slight modifications, mainly its prompt to connect a crypto wallet.
A security researcher from blockchain security firm Beosin told Cointelegraph that the site uses an available crypto wallet draining kit that “lures visitors into signing requests.”
“Once the request is signed, the attacker will transfer NFTs and ERC-20 tokens out of the victim’s wallet,” added Beosin’s researcher.
Cointelegraph reached out to Murati and OpenAI for comment on how the Twitter account was breached but did not receive an immediate response.
Magazine: ‘Moral responsibility’ — Can blockchain really improve trust in AI?
- Rollux mainnet released by SYS Labs.
- First Digital launches new USD-backed stablecoin.
- BTC whales counter trading DXY strength as bitcoin price slips under $27K.
- Litecoin price increase today?
- ECB president deems Euro Zone inflation too high as rate drops to 6.1%.
- EU officials sign MiCA framework into law for crypto-assets markets.
- Tether stablecoin regains $83.2 billion lost market value in 2022 crash.